How to join
In spite of the name of the Company, you do not need to be directly active in the plumbing industry to join. We embrace designers, manufacturers, retailers, all tradesmen, as well as individuals who can contribute to the professional running of a modern Livery Company.
The Plumbers Company, whilst focused on the City of London, is international and is always keen to admit new members, men and women, into the appropriate membership category of the Company. To take a full part in the Livery though means becoming a full Liveryman — which we would encourage all applicants to become or aspire to.
Admission as a Liveryman is by one of three routes:
- Redemption — the most common route; you are introduced to the company by an existing Liveryman.
- Young entry scheme — as above, if aged between 21 and 40;
- Patrimony — if a parent was a Freeman at time of applicant’s birth.
Should you wish to become a full member of the Plumbers’ Company you will need to be proposed and seconded by existing Liverymen.
Your proposer will remain as your friend and mentor all the time you remain in the Company and you should feel free to consult your proposer at any stage. If you do not know anyone in the Company please contact the Clerk, who may be able to assist you.
As a Freeman or Liveryman of this Company you are expected to:
- Make a life-long commitment to the Company.
- Vote in the annual Elections for the Sheriffs and the Lord Mayor (Liverymen only).
- Use your professional expertise to support the Aims and Objectives of the Company.
- Support the activities of the Company, listed in the Calendar of Events.
- Represent the Company when invited.
- Support the Company’s Charitable and Educational Trust.
- Serve, in due course, on Committees.
In doing so, we hope you will enjoy your life-long participation in the Company.
The joining process
There is a five stage procedure for Liverymen and Freemen of which two stages are applicable for International, these are as follows:
- Complete an application form including a proposer and seconder. An example of a completed form is also available to assist you. Your proposer should then return this to the Clerk.
- Attend a short interview with the Admissions Committee.
- Swear an oath to the Company in the presence of the Clerk to obtain the“Freedom of the Company”.
- Attend the Guildhall to make an appointment to become a Freeman of the City of London. This is usually done at the same time as the interview. On approval by the Court of Aldermen, attend the Guildhall to receive the Freedom of the City of London. A delightful and historic event to which family members are welcome.
- Attend a meeting of the Court of Assistants of the Company to be admitted to the Livery.
For the International category only stages 1 and 3 apply. Stage 3 could be undertaken at a convenient location. Timescales for the whole admissions procedure will vary but usually will take between 3 and 12 months. Further details may be found in our membership brochure and these are our membership rates. If you have any additional queries about joining us, please contact the Clerk, details below.